Dara's Fragment




    I was hesitating whether or not to ask Dara Zad about her tattoo that wraps around her left ankle.

    I am glad I did.

    She has the word "Fragment" inked above her foot and, whereas a passer-by might dismiss it as a band name or a random word, the piece carries a depth of meaning about which Dara is clearly passionate.

    She spoke quickly, so her quote may be abbreviated a bit, but she said:

    "Everything is a fragment if it's taken out of context. Like in natural history museums, if you look at one thing by itself, a spoon for example, it is regarded as an artifact, but it is irrelevant by itself, it is only a fragment of a larger group of items. My leg is a fragment of me and I am a fragment of the universe."

    Dara is a video artist, whose website here has some samples of her work. Check out, for example, her short film "The South Maple Bridge". It's pretty cool and worth a few minutes of your time.

    This tattoo, one of four she has, was inked at a shop called Lunar Tattoo and Piercing, in Hadley, Massachusetts. The artist was Mark Bode.

    Thanks to Dara Zad for sharing her fragment with us here at Tattoosday!

Post Title

→

Dara's Fragment


Post URL

→

https://mysteryw8loss.blogspot.com/2008/07/i-was-hesitating-whether-or-not-to-ask.html


Visit mysteryw8loss for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive