Maggie and the Senses

    This post, originally called "Twenty-two Tattoos" has been revised. I ran into a woman from Boston named Lindsay in front of Madison Square Garden on Monday, September 24, and she let me photograph three of her 22 tattoos. Alas, it was a bright, sunny day and the shots were awash with light and did not do the body art justice. I appealed to Lindsay here and she answered my call, sending me much better shots, and an extra one to boot. So, thanks again, to Lindsay. So I didn't take these specific photos, but I gave it a try. The end result is the same, I hope: an interesting post about some great tattoos.

    The first piece that Lindsay proudly showed me was this one, called "Maggie":

    What struck me about this was its color. You see a lot of skulls in tattoo art, but they're seldom this shade, a pink that illuminates off of the skin. This was inked by Spiro at Superchango Tattoo Studio, just north of Houston in The Woodlands, Texas. Spiro is not listed on the shop's site currently, but his home page on Inked Nation here still shows an affiliation.

    One of the things I ask people with multiple artwork when I meet them on the street, since I can't very well photograph everything on them, is what piece means the most to them. In Lindsay's case, it was a chest piece that was still a work in progress, so she offered up "Maggie," as she called her. Lindsay explained that Maggie was an original piece created by Spiro based on a painting he had done for a tattoo convention. Maggie is unusual because most of Lindsay's work she designed herself.

    Maggie is an anti-drug tattoo, Lindsay explained. It's not visible in the tattoo but, off to the left, there is some additional work that she had Spiro add, like pills, a syringe, and other drug-related designs. Maggie represents what a life of drugs could produce. Lindsay wears Maggie as an anchor, a reminder of what could result from unhealthy choices.

    Maggie sits on Lindsay's right shoulder. Her left arm, I noticed had this extremely interesting piece:

    When I asked about it, Lindsay explained that she is creating a series of tattoos dedicated to her five senses, which she feels extremely connected to. Each sense is artistically represented with a different type of wings. This blue and yellow hand, on the outer left forearm, was barely visible in my attempt to photograph it, and represents the sense of Touch. This one is credited to Dave Boseman at Superchango.

    She has the additional sense of sight on her inner left forearm:


    Lindsay explained that "Sight" was done at a tattoo convention in Rhode Island.

    When Lindsay so kindly responded to my request for some do-over photos, she sent me this one as well:

    And I took the chance to add another one of mine...that I didn't think to show you. It is the chorus to my all time favorite song. Also done by Spiro at Superchango.

    Made to Heal by Our Lady Peace


    The chorus is:

    I'm a thief, a liar
    An angel in the fire
    I'm a king, a drug
    The push that comes to shove
    I'm a freak, a star
    I'm everything you are
    I'm your jesus, I'm your pride
    The song "Made to Heal" appears on Our Lady Peace's album Spiritual Machines.

    The photo file name is entitled "Ribs," so I will assume that is why I didn't see this tattoo. I'll see if Lindsay can clarify that for me.

    Thanks to Lindsay for her cooperation on this post and her willingness to share.

Post Title

Maggie and the Senses


Post URL

http://mysteryw8loss.blogspot.com/2007/09/this-post-originally-called-twenty-two.html


Visit mysteryw8loss for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List