Tattoos I Know: Marc's Eye

    On Monday, I had the day off and hit J.J. Carty Park with the kids, where we ran into one of the girls' camp friends and her father.

    I had met Marc, who is a programmer, only a couple of times and the last time I saw him, when Tattoosday was still an infant once-a-week sensation over on BillyBlog, I had noticed a tattoo on Marc's right forearm, above his wrist. For some reason, I didn't ask him then about it, but Monday seemed like a good time as ever, plus my 11-year old broached the subject:

    Jolee (ever the model of subtlety): Is that a tattoo?

    Marc: Yes.

    Jolee (see parenthesis above): Dad, you should tell him about your blog!

    The rest is history, I guess. I gave Marc a printout to check out the site while I ran off and played ball with the tomboy.

    By the end of the day, I asked him if he wanted to be on Tattoosday. "Sure," he shrugged, "why not?"

    He lowered a sock on his left leg to show me the tattoo he had done when he was going to marry his wife, Marina. "I wanted to show my commitment to her," Marc said.



    And the same day he got the eye:


    The eye represents good luck. It is a protective talisman, of sorts, against the evil eye. Marc referred to its ancient use as a device to ward off evil. Wikipedia states:

    Disks or balls, consisting of concentric blue and white circles (usually, from inside to outside, dark blue, light blue, white, dark blue) representing an evil eye are common apotropaic talismans in the Middle East, found on the prows of Mediterranean boats and elsewhere; in some forms of the folklore, the staring eyes are supposed to bend the malicious gaze back to the sorcerer.
    Read the whole entry here.

    Marc credited these two tattoos (of three in all) to a friend with whom he lost touch named Maya (sp?). She did both pieces free-hand.

    Thanks to Marc for his participation on Tattoosday! You can check out his website here.

Post Title

Tattoos I Know: Marc's Eye


Post URL

http://mysteryw8loss.blogspot.com/2007/10/on-monday-i-had-day-off-and-hit-j.html


Visit mysteryw8loss for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive